My filled with happiness life

"What if the world was crazy and I was sane Would it be so strange I can't believe that I am alone in saying The things I'm saying I am - part of you These are - universal truths We're all - part of the light that flows through everything" -Cher ! "It proves that you are unusual," said the Scarecrow, "and in my opinion being unusual is one of the best things in the world. For the common folks are like the leaves on a tree, and live and die unnoticed." -excerpt from "The Land of Oz"

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Learn some respect!

People just have no respect for others or themselves. I am taking this American Sign Language class which is taught by this amazing teacher named Bobby who is deaf himself. He is very passionate about teaching the class because it is part of who he is and he is sharing the deaf culture with his students. He is hillarious and could be a stand up comedian. I love him as a teacher. On the first day of class, you are told that in class their is a no voice policy. For one, using the language and not having voice to use as a crutch in class aids in learning the language. Secondly and most importantly, It is considered rude for a hearing person to use voice in deaf culture when in a deaf enviroment because it is excluding the deaf person from the conversation. Well on thursday, about 4 girls in the class were talking non stop. They did some signing while talking but just alot of voicing. We were doing some partner activities and one was to use signs to describe your favorite room in the house. Well one girl got frustrated with Britney and instead of working through that frustration and learning through the experience by signing, she just decides to talk and take the easy way out. I missed tuesday of class because I was sick but was able to pick up on what they learned tuesday and complete this activity without my partner or I ever using voice. Well there was about 4 of us signing and being quiet and another 4 who were using their voice way too much (some people were absent and some others have dropped the class I think). Hello! If you simply can not communicate through signing, then you write it down on paper like I have to do sometimes. you do not talk. well these girls continued to talk and right as we were getting ready to start a new activity which required us to get in a line (where they talked loudly in line), the teacher writes on the board you do not respect me or any other deaf person! DISMISS! He packs up his stuff and he leaves. I definitely do not blame him at all. I really hope his action sent a message to those who were voicing so that we wont have this problem in class anymore. The girls really hurt the four of us who werent talking too. After he left, the girls didnt apologize to us or say anything. They just packed up their stuff and left. The four of us who were following the rules of class stayed after and talked over the situation with a couple of other girls from the ASL lab out in the hall. For those of you who know me, I am a very talkative person and if I can keep quiet and sign in class so can they. The girls actions were disrespectful to the teacher, to deaf culure and to the students who want to learn because its hard to focus and keep yourself in the right mind set when people in the class are acting like it just a normal hearing class. If those girls talk on tuesday, I will personally throw them out myself. It is time that they learn some respect for themselves and to others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home