My filled with happiness life

"What if the world was crazy and I was sane Would it be so strange I can't believe that I am alone in saying The things I'm saying I am - part of you These are - universal truths We're all - part of the light that flows through everything" -Cher ! "It proves that you are unusual," said the Scarecrow, "and in my opinion being unusual is one of the best things in the world. For the common folks are like the leaves on a tree, and live and die unnoticed." -excerpt from "The Land of Oz"

Thursday, April 21, 2005

fun time adventures with homophobia

.
.




so i sometimes get so tired of doing stuff for classes and for crew and especially at the end of the semester, I felt the need to do something purely for myself. I am perfectly happy being a boy and while I have no desire to go under the needle or knife, I feel as though im bi-gendered (dont even know if thats the correct term) like I dont feel like im born in the wrong body but more that theres a boy and girl inside me. well anyways I like to express my feminine side by dressing up as kimberly. today was one of those days when i act on that urge and i had alot of fun being kimberly. I just did it for costume crew and I got so many compliments on how pretty i looked. Most everyone was so cool with it. Well my crewhead bryan was not (let me explain to you that the crewhead is not a costume shop person, teacher, or really anything above me. hes in my class, one of my peers and on the same level as me. during orientation, he was appointed crewhead just to oversee and make sure we do all our crew duties.) so I get there as kimberly in black clothing like is required for crew and its all cool and im so happy. well like 20 minutes passes by and he is like "dave, i think i need to ask you to take all your stuff off cuz i see it could be a distraction to the crew and actors and inappropriate for this setting. He tries to get on this powertrip and say that cuz hes crewhead, I should just take it off and do as he says. I think he expected me to just be like yea and take it off but no, i stand up for myself. So he says hes going to talk to barbara or the stage manager to see what they say . well i continue doing my duties, which are in no way hendered by the fact that i have makeup and a wig on, and alittle later Mario (the scene design proffessor) comes up to me and tells me I dont have to change, its my right express myself this way, and that if anyone gives me anymore problems to talk to him. I was so proud of the way he handled it as a faculty member. Go mario! well so later on, bryan pulls me aside and is like well ok its ok for tonight but dont come to anymore of the shows dressed up as kimberly, again trying to pull a power trip on me. This didnt sit well with me though because its like saying ok you have the right to freedom of expression today but not tommorow! and who the hell is he to tell me this? Mario didnt say its ok today but not tommorow, did he? NO! So I talked this over with my friends Marty and Gloria(actresses in the show) and they were like you should come dressed up again during the run of the show and go as over the top as you can (while still being practical to perform my crew duties) and I so am on saturday. Tommorow, Ill go as a boy and fake submission to his homophobic "reign" as crewhead but saturday, kimberly will be back in full effect. OH yea and I forgot to mention to, he was scowling at me all night and like i was working on a sewing project to fix this guys costume and i had started later than emily( who was fixing another costume), he gave me a hard time and was like can you hurry up dave in a mean way. he did that to me a few times during the night. trying to find me doing something else wrong cuz it bothered him so much while everyone else didnt care. otherwise, it was alot of fun. my friend chad was like you look so great and took a picture of me with his camera on his cell. *Smiles*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home