My filled with happiness life

"What if the world was crazy and I was sane Would it be so strange I can't believe that I am alone in saying The things I'm saying I am - part of you These are - universal truths We're all - part of the light that flows through everything" -Cher ! "It proves that you are unusual," said the Scarecrow, "and in my opinion being unusual is one of the best things in the world. For the common folks are like the leaves on a tree, and live and die unnoticed." -excerpt from "The Land of Oz"

Monday, November 15, 2004

let me rant for a moment

First of all the because the University of North Texas' administration is showing an utter disregard for academics in favor of athletics, everything is so messed up right now. In my biology class, we are missing an entire lecture due to the new exam schedule. Our professor has already made up the exam and says he is not going to change the exam. I really could have used that extra week of dead week to study for my finals but instead my finals have all been moved to dead week.I really could have taken advantage of valuable review time at the end of dead week but now we will not be having those review and will probably barely be able to cover the information that we were supposed to cover. It is an insult to students and faculty. I have come to this unversity to get a quality education and academics are my focus. Clearly the administration needs to get their priorities straight.We are a university with a football team, not a football team with a university. We are here to learn not to go play football and cheer on the team (altho Id probably look cute in a cheerleader outfit as Kimberly, here let me do a cheer "Go Fuck Johnson!" ,not that you will ever catch me cheering for UNT football, I think with all this, I may never attend another UNT football game)Let me remind you dear administration, football is a extracurricular activity,extracurricular! People are using the exscuse well this is good for the university because football brings so much money to the university well look at the statistics

For 2002-2003:
Football Revenue - $2,258,744Football Expenses - $3,223,764
For 2001-2002:
Football Revenue - $1,842,999Football Expenses - $2,832,396
For 2000-2001:
Football Revenue - $1,409,634Football Expenses - $2,583,023

The university has also said the schedule change is for "student safety reasons" because last year 4 students died on the way back from the bowl game.Well unlike they are trying to make it sound, last year the bowl game didnt conflict with finals so these students werent rushing back to campus to take finals.

Also the university knew about the bowl game schedule from the begining of the semester, if they had wanted to make a change of the exam schedule they should have done it then, not a fucking month before finals!! Dr. McKee, UNT's faculty athletics representative, said UNT would have "looked silly" if it had changed the schedule at the beginning of the semester and then the football team missed the bowl game. (from the Dallas Morning News) I think UNT looks ridiculious now and would have had alot more crediblity and respect from student body and faculty if they had made this change before the semester started. Some people are saying that this action could affect the accreditation of the university which is supposed to be up for review this year. It definitely reflects on the university's acedemic integrity.

Also, ok so this schedule change also violates state law because we are not meeting for the minimum hours required by the state, so how in the world can they continue to go through with this decision.What kind of standard does that set for students who see the university trying to break state law for a football game?

Only 500 students are required to go and university officials estimate that another 3,500 students will attend. Still that leaves about 28,000 students who are not going to the game and are having their schedules and lives turned upside down for a fucking football game? It really hurts art students, theater students who have performance projects or directing projects or in my case makeup projects which are due at the end of the semester and now we are loosing a whole week.

So what I want to know is where is my fucking refund? because I think all of the student body should be given a refund for the week of precious education that they paid for that was stolen from them. Either that or the university needs to change it back to the way it was and show that they have some integrity. My parents are going to email the administration about their disapproval of the university's actions and possibly demand a refund for the week of my schooling they paid for. My Biology teacher today encouraged all of us to get our parents to contact the administration. Maybe if enough people take a stand, some positive change will come.

On another note, you know I was so happy that my birthday was not right before finals week when i saw the new schedule because last year my birthday was right in the middle of finals week. Now my birthday is going to be on Sunday and I have my first exam two days later on Wednesday. I probably will go ahead and celebrate my birthday on the day of my birthday because its my 21st birthday and I want to celebrate it on my 21st birthday, not a week later. I hope it doesnt affect the people being able to come to my birthday party though. It is on a Sunday which I hope doesnt discourage attendance. I could celebrate it on another day if need be but I would really like to celebrate it onthe actual day of my birthday.
Also with my job, I applied to the Gap and told them the first day I could work was the 18th well actually now due to the final exam schedule change, I could start working Dec 11th which might have made a difference. I could still try and see about contacting them and letting them know my new availablity since I have worked their before and know at least one manager there. Ill have to see. I may end up working at Ross again.

Hmm I feel much better now altho I am still very upset at the administration.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home