My filled with happiness life

"What if the world was crazy and I was sane Would it be so strange I can't believe that I am alone in saying The things I'm saying I am - part of you These are - universal truths We're all - part of the light that flows through everything" -Cher ! "It proves that you are unusual," said the Scarecrow, "and in my opinion being unusual is one of the best things in the world. For the common folks are like the leaves on a tree, and live and die unnoticed." -excerpt from "The Land of Oz"

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

What are you afraid of?

People are so afraid of homosexuals. We're just gonna ruin the world. It is really sad. If they only got to know us. I just read this play called "Bent". It is about gays in the Holocaust. These two guys Max and Horst fall in love at a concentration camp. Max ends up getting a yellow star and marked as a jew (he sleeps with a dead girl to prove he's not queer because Horst tells him pink is the lowest) while Horst has a pink triangle that he wears he wears proudly.

Max: Just. Just dead, minutes...bullet...in her....they said....prove that you're...and I did... prove that you're...lots of them, watching....laughing....drinking....he's a bit bent, they said, he can't...but I did...
Horst:How?
Max: I don't...I don't...know. I wanted....
Horst: to stay alive

At the end of the play, Horst is killed. Earlier on in the play, Max says " sometimes a guard throws a prisoner's hat against the fence. He orders him to get the hat. If he doesn't get the hat, the guard will shoot him. If he does get the hat, he will be electrocuted. So in the final scene, the captain orders Horst to throw his hat against the fence. Horst walks very slowly to the fence but right before he reaches the fence he runs and attacks the captain. The guard shoots Horst but he still keeps fighting. The second shot kills Horst. The captain orders Max to put the body in the pit.

{Max opens his mouth to cry out. He can't.

Silence.

Max walks to Horst's body. He tries to lift it. It is heavy. He manages to pull the body partly up. Horst's head resting against MAX's cgest. He looks away. He takes HORST, feet dragginh up on the ground, toward the pit.

The bell rings.}

Max: No! (he stands there holding on to Horst) It's O.K. I wont drop you. I'll hold you. If I stand at attention, I can hold you. They'll let me hold you. I wont let you down. (Silence.) I never held you before. (Silence.) You dont have to worry about moving the rocks. I'll do yours, too. I'll move twice as many each day. I'll do yours, too Uou dont have to worry about them. (Silence.) You know what? (Silence.) Horst?(Silence.) You know what? (Silence.) I think...(Silence.) I think I love you. (Silence.)Shh! Dont tell anyone. I think I loved.....I cant remember his name. A dancer. I think I love him, too. Dont be jealous. I think I loved....some boy a long time ago. In my father's factory. Hans. That was his name. But the dancer. I don't remember. (Silence.) I love you. (Silence.) What's wrong with that? (Silence.) Whats wrong with that?

That is what I want to know. What's wrong with loving someone who happens to be the same sex? What's so wrong with me loving Jerry?

SILENCE!

You wont hear an answer because there is NOTHING! NOTHING wrong about it at all. This scene of the play gets me so emotional every time I read it. It is so powerful.
What is so wrong with a committed loving couple who happens to be a same sex couple wanting to express their commitment through marriage? People talk about the homosexual agenda and how we are just breaking away the fiber of American traditional moral values. When did HATE become such a family value? What is wrong with me wanting the same rights as a straight married male? What is so wrong with me wanting to be able to be there at the hospital room when my partner is sick,possibly dying? Shouldn't I be able to say goodbye?
There are at least 1,049 protections, benefits and responsibilities extended to married couples under federal law, according to a 1997 study by the General Accounting Office.

Love is never wrong!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home